For the selection of the palette apply the same principles of the board as to whether you are professional or amateur. The classification of the pallets according to the initial level, advanced or advanced, constitutes a starting point. The professionals meet the specifications of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) standards. Fans have the freedom to be less specific. However, you should look for quality in the palette since it is not just fun. You must protect your hand and your wrist while enjoying an exceptional exercise.
The choice of best ping pong paddles include elements that range from materials, design, and style of play. The standard classification establishes technical levels: 100-300 amateur players, 400-600 intermediate players and 700 to 900 professional players. Following that scale, you can choose the level to which your ping-pong paddle should respond. That is the first step.
Type of Wood:
A second step already refers to the manufacturer’s specifications. The classic in ping-pong is the wooden pallets that vary in thickness according to the quality. They are designed in layers: 3-5 layers provides speed, from 5 to 7 layers greater control.
On the other hand, depending on the type of player, the characteristics of the palette vary:
Offensive: Speed and effect:
- OFF-: Variable offensive.
- F: Proactive player.
- FF +: Aggressive Game.
- DEF: Control and precision induce the opponent’s error.
- DEF +: Combines defense and attack
Combined: Balance and flexibility.
- ALL: Offensive and defensive.
Rubber or spikes?
- In any case, observe carefully the rubber of the palette whether it is smooth or peaked. In ping-pong, the type of rubber used in the palette is one of the most exciting topics. Since the type of rubber directly affects the game mode. Smooth rubber contributes to the effect. The rubber to peaks induces trajectory.
- Smooth rubber enjoys a lot of prestige among tennis players because of the effect it has on the ball. However, the game strategy has inclined the players towards the spikes. Offensive players opt for the short spikes up to 1mm, very efficient in blocking and backhand strokes. They are ideal for fast and powerful players.
- The medium beak rubber has the versatility to offer the apprentice a less radical alternative to the practice of ping-pong. It has all the benefits of rubber spikes and the strength of smooth rubber. For professionals, this type of rubber is not attractive since it limits the execution of defined techniques, whether offensive or defensive.
- The long beak rubber is the rubber of those who play defensively. Do not get confused, it’s about strategy, not weakness. This rubber provides a wide contact surface with the ball, which induces a great effect and control in the game. The tendency is that its thickness is located at 1.5 mm.
- Another option very in vogue is the one that discards the sponge in the palette, emphasizing the control of the game by decreasing the speed. And finally, the palette with antitop rubber guarantees a maximum control by sacrificing the offensive game.
- The offensive or defensive mode of the game determines the type of handle that a player can choose. Whether it’s Asian or European. The Asian handles cater to the pen-holder type of grip, which enables the versatility of movements and great speed.
- The European type handles vary according to their shape: Anatomical, concave or straight. The anatomic handle adapts to the shape of the hand ensuring firmness in the grip. The concave handles guarantee the displacement of the paddle without risks of detachment during the game. The wider end holds the paddle in the player’s hand.
- The classic straight handle continues to be the favorite of the players, for its ability to offer mobility on the wrist. In this case, firmness of grip is sacrificed in favor of versatility in the game.
- Since you are probably starting in the exciting world of ping pong, advance following the recommendations of the experts. But especially enjoy the game and dare to explore the various modalities and strategies that ping-pong offers you.